Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ch. 3-5 of Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

These chapters are really good in how he immerses you in the chaos of the raid. It felt like I was was standing there seeing all of the people running by in terror screaming while guns rang though out the village. In the chapters he is sneaking in to Matta Jong it was so tense that I didn't want to put the book down. I was surprised though that the rebels just joked the whole time about death and the killing of people. I could almost feel the gut wrenching feeling just waiting to see if you arn't found and live or you ge discovered and die.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

The book is so gross, and yet we just want to read more of it. It is so tense and we feel so anxious. It is sad that the rebels just joked the whole time about the killing of the old man and about killing people. They have no conscious, and it's so hard to believe that people my age have done that.

Marina Ramirez said...

It is hard to believe, also that the rebels rule is you fight with us or your dead. The story was really gory and depressing but I couldn't put the book down(I guess the whole rush got me interested in the non-fiction story.)

Haley said...

You're right, it does almost feel as if you are there witnessing it because of Beah's amazing ability of writing. Although this book it extremely graphic, that's the reason we are compelled to read it. Hopefully you are more affected by this book now than you were a while ago in class. :)